Have you ever made your own breadcrumbs?
They are such an easy and delicious solution for leftover or stale bread.
Like so delicious that I regularly save bread from potlucks or dinners to make my own!
And they store beautifully for weeks in a jar in the pantry (or months in the freezer).
Next time you’ve got leftover bread, be sure to whip up a batch of these to keep on hand for your meatballs or chicken cutlets of whatever you’re cooking up!
- As much or as little leftover bread as you have
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Break the bread into chunks and place in a food processor*. Blend the bread until fine crumbs form.
- Transfer crumbs onto a baking sheet and bake till dry and crunchy (20-30 minutes).
- For fine breadcrumbs, blend the baked breadcrumbs again once cooled.
- Store in a dry jar for up to a month in a cool dry place or several months in the freezer.
*If you don’t have a food processor, tear the bread into chunks and toast in the oven. Then stick them in plastic bag and crush gently with a rolling pin. If you don’t want to use a plastic bag, I’d imaging you can crush the chunks in a bowl with a glass jar or even your hands. Get creative!
Did you make it? I’d love to see how it turned out! Tag @climbingdietitian on instagram.