What tastes better than pizza? Pizza in the back-country after a long day of canoeing.
I first discovered back-country pizza alternatives in the Adirondacks back in my college summers when I led 11-day trips. I 100% brought back to the front-country because who doesn’t like delicious, quick pizza burritos?
They were always a massive hit with the students and really easy to make—a must after miles of canoeing and portaging AND in between patients or after a long work day.
Our favorite was sautéing onions and peppers with pepperoni to stuff in the pockets—SO AMAZING.
Per serving, this recipe packs *** g of carbs, *** g of protein, and *** g of fat, and *** g of fiber.
Pre-workout: have at least *** hours before your session to give you enough time to digest. Add extra carbs or have a pre-session carb snack if possible.Post-workout: this recipe has the ideal 3-4:1 ratio of carbs to protein! Have post-workout meal within 1-2 hours of your session. Pair with *** within 1-2 hours of your session.
- 1 large tortilla
- 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce (can also do BBQ or ranch)
- ½ cup of shredded mozzarella
- A few tablespoons of toppings (see below for inspo)
- Onions, green onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, fresh garlic, spinach, olives, peppers, broccoli
- Cooked chicken (pro tip: put under the cheese so it doesn’t dry out)
- Sausage (chicken or regular)
- Ham or bacon (turkey or regular)
- Bleu or goat cheese (SO freakin good)
- Dollops of ricotta cheese
- Spices like onion or garlic powder and red pepper flakes
- Spread the sauce on the tortilla leaving a margin at least 1 inch from the edge
- Add cheese and toppings. Avoid overstuffing so you can fold it closed!
- Fold the outer edges in in pairs (right and left and then top and bottom) until you have a pocket
- Place the pocket edges down in a skillet and cook over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes on each side. The trick is for it to not cook too fast so you can melt the cheese without burning the tortilla. Enjoy!
Did you make it? I’d love to see how it turned out! Tag @bitebetanutrition on instagram!
Similar Recipes to Check Out
Pizza is hands down one of my favorite foods. But I often don’t have the time or energy to make pizza from scratch every time I want it. Enter the pita pizza. This is the perfect way to make delicious pizza in 10 minutes flat. All of the things you love about homemade pizza withContinue reading “Pita Pizza”
I’m really bad at picking favorites. It kind of stresses me out because I’m pretty multi-passionate and love a lot of things! But hands down, homemade pizza is definitely one of my favorite foods. Growing up, we made pizza almost every Friday night and I loved it. When Zach and I were planning our wedding,Continue reading “Homemade Pizza”
Homemade pizza is hands down one of my absolute favorite foods! Growing up, we made it almost every Friday night using this very pizza dough recipe. I’m the sort of person that enjoys the ability to be spontaneous. I like to have both staple ingredients and DIY decor or construction supplies so that when IContinue reading “Bread Machine Pizza Dough”