So we got this awesome crock-pot set as a wedding gift that we’d had for almost two years now but never used. Which makes no sense because I love finding efficient ways to do things and crock-pots are a real time saver!
Anyways, I finally broke it out with a vegetarian chili recipe inspired by one I came up with for these 11-day back-country canoe trips I used to lead and prep food for.
Side note: we actually had an awesome set up and would pre-cook and dehydrate the meals, including chili for this amazing chili Mac.
Anyways now that I’ve gotten my feet wet, I’m hopefully going to be cooking more crock-pot meals which means you can bet on me sharing more recipes!
A couple notes on this recipe:
It’s great to make ahead and the flavor only gets better over time. We ate it two days after cooking and it was awesome!
This recipe makes a whole bunch. The two of us ate it for a couple of dinners and I brought it for a few lunches. Next time I’ll probably freeze half of it for a quick weeknight meal!
- 1, 28-oz can of baked beans
- 2, 16-oz cans of corn
- 1, 16-oz can of kidney beans
- 1, 16-oz can of black beans
- 1, 16-oz can of chickpeas
- 1, 16-oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper (or more if you like it real hot)
Optional (but strongly encouraged) toppings
- Shredded cheddar
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Fresh cilantro
- Mix everything in a crockpot and cook on high for at least 6 hours.
- Top with deliciousness and enjoy!
Did you make it? I’d love to see how it turned out! Tag @bitebetanutrition on instagram.