French toast is one of the best breakfasts out there, but sometimes I’m not up for all of the work. Sure it’s not that time-consuming but there’s mixing and soaking and plopping and watching and flipping and a couple rounds before it’s all done.
That’s why this casserole is so great! All the deliciousness of French toast with so much less work. You can even prep it the night before (which I recommend) or you can whip it up the morning of if you’re feeling more spontaneous.
You can use whatever bread is in your pantry but my two favs are whole grain bread from Aldi (for all that fiber and protein) or crusty Italian. French toast is also perfect for bread that’s gone stale!
- 15 oz of bread (1 often do 10 slices of whole grain bread)
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- Break bread into large chunks and fill pan 13×9 Pyrex
- Mix all remaining ingredients and pour over bread. Stir gently to make sure all bread is moist
- Refrigerate overnight if possible (this is ideal but you can also cook it right away—the baking time will be a bit less since it won’t be cold!)
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes
- Top with maple syrup and sifted powdered sugar if you’re feeling fancy and enjoy!