OMG. I hit the jackpot with this macaroni and cheese recipe!
I’ve always loved homemade mac and cheese, but I used to make a roux from scratch which involved mixing oil and flour and then adding in a little bit of milk at a time for forever! A roux makes a great base for any cream sauce, but is too time consuming for my busy life.
So naturally I wanted to make a cheese sauce that was still thick and creamy minus all the work. Let me tell you, this did not disappoint!
The sauce came together as quick as the pasta cooked and turned out delicious. It’s safe to say I’m never making mac and cheese another way again!
If you’re looking to shake things up a little bit, mix in some broccoli and bacon bits or chili.
- 1 lb macaroni noodles
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2, 12-oz cans of evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 lb shredded cheddar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fill a pot with water and 1 teaspoon of salt and cook pasta according to directions on the box. Pro-tip: after straining the pasta, rinse with cold water to prevent overcooking
- In a medium saucepan, mix cornstarch with a splash of evaporated milk till dissolved
- Add in the rest of the evaporated milk and cook over medium-high heat stirring frequently until thick and frothy
- Add in cheese and cook until melted and sauce is smooth
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Return pasta to the pot, combine with cheese sauce and serve
Did you make it? I’d love to see how it turned out! Tag @bitebetanutrition on instagram.
Other Recipes You Might Like
True story: we made all of the food for the 150 guests at our DIY wedding! The day before it was all hands on deck preparing 36 pounds of hummus, trays of pita chips, a bunch of mini quiches, and 12 hotel pans of baked ziti from 36 pounds of pasta! As well as aContinue reading “Easy Baked Ziti”
So we got this awesome crock-pot set as a wedding gift that we’d had for almost two years now but never used. Which makes no sense because I love finding efficient ways to do things and crock-pots are a real time saver! Anyways, I finally broke it out with a vegetarian chili recipe inspired byContinue reading “Crock-Pot Vegetarian Chili”
I’m really bad at picking favorites. It kind of stresses me out because I’m pretty multi-passionate and love a lot of things! But hands down, homemade pizza is definitely one of my favorite foods. Growing up, we made pizza almost every Friday night and I loved it. When Zach and I were planning our wedding,Continue reading “Homemade Pizza”