Whenever I eat pancakes, I’m reminded of how grateful I am to have made peace with all food including carbs. I used to think all carbs (especially the white ones) were bad, fattening, empty calories, etc.
But I craved them alllll the time (partially because I was chronically under-fueling) and when I finally caved I went overboard then felt so guilty which only made it worse and confirmed my belief that carbs were the enemy.
NOT ANYMORE! It’s mind blowing to me how normal carbs are now and how much I enjoy their amazingness! Food relationship matters, you guys!
Okay, I’m stopping this rant before it gets out of hand. Now about these pumpkin pancakes: I finally was able to find some canned pumpkin after it being unavailable for a while. The wait was worth it though!
These pancakes are soft, spicy, and delicious. If you want to kick it up a notch, grate or chop an apple and add it to the batter! Yum.
This recipe makes about 8, 5-inch pancakes. If you don’t finish them right way, they freeze really well and are delicious toasted!
- Per pancake, this recipe packs 23 g of carbs, 5 g of protein, and 7 g of fat, and 1 g of fiber
- Pre-workout: you can have these within 1 hour of climbing. If you’re having them >1 hour away, you can add some protein (e.g eggs) to keep you satisfied.
- Post-workout: this recipe has close to the ideal 3-4:1 ratio of carbs to protein (but you could add a little protein and stay within the range). Have post-workout meal within 1-2 hours of your session.
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup pumpkin purée
- Mix together dry ingredients (sift the flour for fluffier pancakes)
- Add wet ingredients and stir just until combined (avoid over mixing to maximize fluffiness)
- Lightly grease a skillet or griddle and make them pancakes!
Did you make it? I’d love to see how it turned out! Tag @climbingdietitian on instagram.
Others Recipes You Might Like
This is one of my all time favorite types of pancakes! It reminds me of family pancake breakfasts at local spots during maple season in upstate New York. There are a couple of ways you can prepare the apples for these pancakes. You can either dice the apple or peel and grate it (like youContinue reading “Apple Pancakes”
Another week, another blender muffin recipe! Seriously, I am on a roll and there’s no signs of stopping! I can’t believe baking a few batches of deliciousness every weekend wasn’t my norm a month or two ago. I guess I’m going to have to transition to frozen yogurt bars once the warmer weather hits, butContinue reading “Pumpkin Oat Blender Muffins”
Got a banana you need to use up and looking for a scrumptious breakfast? I find myself in this situation quite a lot despite my attempts to get to the bananas before they’re past prime (which for me is not green anymore). But honestly I’m cool with it because there are so many delicious waysContinue reading “Banana Pancakes”