Ooh baby did this come out good! This recipe was inspired by my creamy spinach and chicken pasta and it sure as heck won’t be my last creamy pasta recipe.
I used to make a roux from scratch for cream sauces but using evaporated milk and cornstarch is SO much easier and faster.
For a balanced meal, pair this dish with some steamed veggies or a side salad or add cooked or frozen veggies (like broccoli) right to it.
- Shrimp are a great source of lean protein and iron
- This recipe provides 22-30 grams of protein and 50-67 grams of carbs per serving (for 6-8 servings)
- Eat 3-4 hours before a session as a pre-workout meal
- For post-workout it could use some extra carbs to get you to that 3:1-4:1 ratio of carbs to protein. You could pair the pasta with garlic bread or snack on fruit after!
- 1 lb pasta
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12-oz of cooked/frozen shrimp, thawed (you can also use fresh)
- 2, 12-oz cans of evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley to garnish
- Cook the pasta according to package directions adding 1 teaspoon of salt to the water when boiling
- Remove from heat once al dente, strain and rinse with cold water (to prevent overcooking)
- In a cold skillet, thoroughly mix cornstarch with a splash of evaporated milk till completely dissolved
- Add in the rest of the evaporated milk, stirring very throughly so cornstarch is well dispersed. You want to be sure there are no lumps before turning on the heat!
- Heat sauce over low-medium heat stirring frequently (to keep from clumping or sticking) until thick and frothy
- Stir in cheese, garlic powder, nutmeg and salt and pepper and continue to cook until sauce is smooth
- Add in the shrimp and cook until heated through
- Combine the sauce and cooked pasta, serve and garnish with parsley
Did you make it? I’d love to see how it turned out! Tag @climbingdietitian on instagram.
Other Recipes You Might Like
If you like spinach ravioli, you’re going to love this recipe! It’s pretty much a deconstructed version of it. It kind of happened by accident while I was testing out an Alfredo sauce and was going to add chicken and broccoli. I was 90% done with the sauce when I realized we were out ofContinue reading “Creamy Spinach & Chicken Pasta”
Where are my taco lovers at? Seriously, a goal of mine is to to eat more tacos right now. They are quick to whip up, satisfying, and SO DELICIOUS! We’ve made these shrimp tacos a handful of times now and they are fast becoming a Jorritsma fav. Next I need to try chicken! And fajitas!Continue reading “10-Minute Shrimp Tacos for 2”
OMG. I hit the jackpot with this macaroni and cheese recipe! I’ve always loved homemade mac and cheese, but I used to make a roux from scratch which involved mixing oil and flour and then adding in a little bit of milk at a time for forever! A roux makes a great base for anyContinue reading “Easiest Macaroni & Cheese”