I kinda feel entitled to giving you a chicken update with every egg-based post so here goes it! Hei Hei really is a completely different chicken after living in the garden during the day for a few weeks. She’s almost grown all of her feathers back and has even been hinting that she like to you out of the garden at times (by pacing by the gate). I let her out with the other chickens quite a few times now and she really is holding her own!
She has gotten chased (Henneth is the worst offender currently and Hen-Solo has been much more chill) but so far hasn’t gotten attacked and she’s overall just more confident. She stays way closer to the other ladies than she ever dared before and is even clucking more normally (she used to only chirp).
We are fencing in the potato patch next to the garden so that the chickens can have a larger enclosed run and not make such a mess of our yard. We’ll see how it goes but I’m thinking Hei Hei will still have to go in the garden during the day since there’s less space to run away to in the new run.
Okay now that you’re all caught up, let’s talk about this recipe!
- There are about 12 grams of protein per serving (for a total of 8 servings)
- Pre-workout: pair with carbs and extra veggies 2-4 hours before a session
- Post workout: have at least 2 servings plus carbs and extra veggies within 1-2 hours of your session
- 8 eggs
- 2 handfuls of cheddar cheese
- Splash of milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drizzle of oil
- Protein: ham, sausage, Canadian bacon, etc
- Veggies: tomatoes, green onions, mushrooms, peppers, olives, spinach, kale, broccoli, asparagus
- Herbs: basil, rosemary, cilantro, parsley
- Spices: garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Grease 9 inch pie plate with a drizzle of vegetable oil
- Beat the eggs and milk in a mixing bowl
- Mix in the cheese and any extra toppings plus salt and pepper
- Pour mixture into the pie plate and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until set in the center
Did you make it? I’d love to see how it turned out! Tag @climbingdietitian on instagram.
Other Recipes You Might Like
Every evening, I pack breakfast, lunch, and snacks to bring to the hospital for the next day. The trickiest thing about planning breakfast is the protein for sure. These egg cups are a great solution! They taste delicious, are easy to reheat (or honestly taste good cold in a pinch). Also packed with protein, andContinue reading “Easy Egg Cups”
My friend, this stuff is the bomb! It’s the most complete form of protein (eggs) and plus an incredibly yummy fat (avocado) and the outcome is heavenly. Plus it is SO quick and simple. Which honestly a must for me with my busy life! I love packing this into a sandwich or pita or wrapContinue reading “Avocado Egg Salad”
So we inherited five chickens (and a garden) with the house we closed on about two months ago! We named them Hen-Solo, Meg-hen, Henneth Paltrow, Dolly Part-hen, and Hei Hei (seriously so proud of myself). They’ve kinda become my favorite thing! Hei Hei is missing at least half her feathers since she’s at the bottomContinue reading “Easy Spinach, Onion & Cheddar Frittata”
Nothing like a delicious breakfast that comes together in less than 10 minutes am I right? Breakfast burritos are perfect for leftover baked or roasted potatoes or home fries but you can also cook some up quick. You can include any extras like veggies or protein (sausage, ham, bacon). Get creative with the cheese asContinue reading “10-Minute Breakfast Burritos for 2”