Okay this turned out SO good! I can’t get over how easy this sauce is compared to a roux and how creamy it turns out. The broccoli makes it a one pot kinda meal which is very much my style. It would also be super good with bacon bits or a little ham but has plenty of protein without.
- Per serving, this recipe has 66 g of carbs, 40 g of protein, and 16 g of fat, 4 g of fiber, and more 2/3 of your daily calcium needs
- Pre-workout: have at least 2 hours before your session to give you enough time to digest. Add extra carbs like garlic bread or have a pre-session carb snack if possible.
- Post-workout: Ideally each serving would be paired with an extra 60 grams of carbs (e.g garlic bread, fruit, or dessert) within 1-2 hours of your session for that 3:1 ratio of carbs:protein.
- 1 lb pasta
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3, 12-oz cans of evaporated milk
- 4.5 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1.5 lb shredded cheddar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2, 12-oz bags of frozen broccoli
- Fill a pot with water and 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil
- Cook pasta and strain while it’s al dente
- While the pasta water is heating, in a large skillet use a whisk to mix cornstarch with about a half cup of the evaporated milk till dissolved
- Whisk in the rest of the evaporated milk and cook over medium-high heat stirring frequently until thick and frothy or around when the pasta is almost done (don’t worry if it isn’t very thick yet)
- Add in cheese and stir until it’s melted and the sauce is smooth
- Add in the broccoli and cook on low until heated through
- Add in the pasta and season with salt and pepper to taste and dig in!
- Makes about 8 servings
Did you make it? I’d love to see how it turned out! Tag @climbingdietitian on instagram.
Other Recipes You Might Like
True story: we made all of the food for the 150 guests at our DIY wedding! The day before it was all hands on deck preparing 36 pounds of hummus, trays of pita chips, a bunch of mini quiches, and 12 hotel pans of baked ziti from 36 pounds of pasta! As well as aContinue reading “Easy Baked Ziti”
When we first starting exploring the yard at our new house, I noticed a few sad looking basil plants along the potato patch. Side note: I’ve learned that chickens kind of eat everything—like my chives, baby Swiss chard, baby lettuce—but only when they feel like it. So they miraculously left my plants alone for weeksContinue reading “Easiest Pesto Pasta”
OMG. I hit the jackpot with this macaroni and cheese recipe! I’ve always loved homemade mac and cheese, but I used to make a roux from scratch which involved mixing oil and flour and then adding in a little bit of milk at a time for forever! A roux makes a great base for anyContinue reading “Easiest Macaroni & Cheese”
If you like spinach ravioli, you’re going to love this recipe! It’s pretty much a deconstructed version of it. It kind of happened by accident while I was testing out an Alfredo sauce and was going to add chicken and broccoli. I was 90% done with the sauce when I realized we were out ofContinue reading “Creamy Spinach & Chicken Pasta”
This is a super quick and easy meal and with a creamy sauce that whips together as quick as the pasta cooks! My absolute fav. It’s a great way to stretch your protein which, come to think about it, lots of people are talking about recently with meat being a little scare in the groceryContinue reading “Easy Ham Tetrazzini”
I had my heart set on baked ziti until I realized that we were out of penne so baked spaghetti it was! Just like baked ziti this is an easy meal to prepare, is great made ahead, and both reheats and freezes well. Recipe notes: I used 1 lb of mozzarella with about a cupContinue reading “Spaghetti Bake”