I am all about quick and delicious dinners right now! For this soup you can use raw potatoes or leftover ones (baked or mashed).
- This is a better source of protein than it is carbs so keep that in mind as you’re planning your meals! Per serving, this recipe has 27 g of carbs, 17 g of protein, and 6 g of fat, and 4 g of fiber
- Pre-workout: have at least 2 hours before your session to give you enough time to digest. Add extra carbs (ideas below) or have a pre-session carb snack if possible.
- Post-workout: Pair with an extra 20-40 grams of carbs (couple handfuls of oyster crackers, a slice or two of garlic bread, fruit, or something sweet for dessert) for that 3-4:1 ratio of carbs to protein within 1-2 hours of your session.
- 1 lb of potatoes (or 5-6 medium)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cup of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bag frozen broccoli
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar
- If you need to cook the potatoes, prick them with a fork and place on a plate with 1/4 cup of water. Microwave for 7 minutes and then flip them over and microwave for another 7 minutes till they are easily poked with a fork
- While the potatoes are cooking, combine 1/4 cup of flour with a small amount of the milk in a large pot and stir until well combined
- Bring to medium heat and continue to stir until the mixture is thick
- Bit by bit, add more milk slowly until 1 cup has been used. You can add the 2nd and 3rd cups of milk more quickly as the mixture thickens
- Add the salt and spices
- Chop up the microwaved potatoes (leave the skins on for more fiber and micronutrients) and add to the milk and flour mixture
- Add the broccoli and cook until everything is heated through
- Add the cheese and stir until melted. Feel free to sprinkle with a little more cheese and enjoy!
Did you make it? I’d love to see how it turned out! Tag @climbingdietitian on instagram.
Other Recipes You Might Like
I’ve been in a serious recipe rut lately. Life has been a little crazy and cooking regularly took a back seat. But I’m getting back into the swing of things with some new, easy peasy, delicious recipes to keep us fueled during the week while also not taking up too much of my precious time!Continue reading “20-Minute Taco Soup”
Where are my taco lovers at? Seriously, a goal of mine is to to eat more tacos right now. They are quick to whip up, satisfying, and SO DELICIOUS! We’ve made these shrimp tacos a handful of times now and they are fast becoming a Jorritsma fav. Next I need to try chicken! And fajitas!Continue reading “10-Minute Shrimp Tacos for 2”
Okay this turned out SO good! I can’t get over how easy this sauce is compared to a roux and how creamy it turns out. The broccoli makes it a one pot kinda meal which is very much my style. It would also be super good with bacon bits or a little ham but hasContinue reading “Broccoli Mac & Cheese”
So we got this awesome crock-pot set as a wedding gift that we’d had for almost two years but never used. Which makes no sense because I love finding efficient ways to do things and crock-pots are a real time saver! Anyways, I finally broke it out with a vegetarian chili recipe inspired by oneContinue reading “Crock-Pot Vegetarian Chili”