I love switching up my starches with sweet potatoes! They are a great source of complex carbohydrates as well as vitamin A (how they get their color). Pair these with a protein and veggie for a balanced meal.
- This recipe makes ~8 servings
- Per serving, this recipe packs 40 g of carbs, 3 g of protein, and 5 g of fat, and 6 g of fiber.
- Pre-workout: have within 60 minutes of your session or >1-2 hours before if you add a protein.
- Post-workout: add 7-10 grams of protein (1-1.5 oz) per serving for ideal 3-4:1 ratio of carbs to protein. Have post-workout meal within 1-2 hours of your session.
- 3 lbs of sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Cinnamon and nutmeg to taste
- Salt to taste
You can makes these on the stove or in the oven (even the microwave if you reduce the amount). If you want them to be super smooth, use a blender or hand mixer!
- Peel the potatoes, cut into uniform chunks, and place in a pot
- Cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil
- Boil for 20 to 30 minutes or until fork tender and drain
- Drain and mash with the rest of the ingredients
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Prick the potatoes with a fork and place on a baking sheet
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until soft
- Peel and then mash with the rest of the ingredients
Did you make it? I’d love to see how it turned out! Tag @climbingdietitian on instagram.
Other Recipes You Might Like
Got leftover mashed potatoes? We certainly did after Easter dinner and these pancakes were an easy way to repurpose them (as well as some leftover ham we had too). You can do just about anything when it comes to what you put inside these potato pancakes but ham (or sausage) and cheese is killer combo.Continue reading “Savory Potato Pancakes”
Nothing like a delicious breakfast that comes together in less than 10 minutes am I right? Breakfast burritos are perfect for leftover baked or roasted potatoes or home fries but you can also cook some up quick. You can include any extras like veggies or protein (sausage, ham, bacon). Get creative with the cheese asContinue reading “10-Minute Breakfast Burritos for 2”
This was such a delicious and easy weeknight meal! I don’t know how I haven’t made a potato bake before but it 100% is going to be a Jorritsma staple. I can’t wait to eat the leftovers for lunch at work tomorrow! I’ve been trying to cook more potatoes recently and have been loving it.Continue reading “Cheesy Mashed Potato Bake”
One thing I’ve really been loving about starting the Bite Beta Blog is reconnecting with some of my favorite foods growing up! As I create more and more recipes I’m reminded of delicious things I ate growing up that I want to share with you. These were hands down my favorite way to eat potatoesContinue reading “Easy Roasted Potatoes”
When I’m planning or preparing a meal, I’ve got three things to think about: protein + carb + veggie. That’s basically how I approach lunch and dinner and I mix and match lots of different options! Potatoes are an awesome versatile starch. You have probably heard someone say that they are a vegetable but fromContinue reading “Microwave Baked Potatoes”